Saturday 29 May 2010

Dining Room at the Whisky Society

Queens Street, Edinburgh

visited 12/05/2010

I went here in the dying days of this year's listcard. It's the kind of restaurant one might expect in the New Town branch of the whisky society. It's a lovely, small but spacious room and the service is great--formal but cheerful.

The food is classic stuff, a little bit formal, very well cooked and nice-looking. This is another belated review and my memory may have been dimmed by the glasses of Veuve Cliquot upon which we spent the money we saved (that's the logic of the widgeon). To start I had prawns with a fennel and pepper salad--a combination which worked surprising well although the prawns were disappointingly underflavoured. Then we both had woodpigeon with lots of rooty things and caramelised shallots)which was YUM. The pigeon was rare, perfectly tender and tasty and the bits and pieces were all rich, sweet, and nutty. I don't think I've had pigeon as nice as that for ages. With this we had a bottle of NZ Pinot Noir which was well-balanced and not too headachingly alcoholic as New World Pinots often are.

We had a free whisky to start with--a very young, grassy Speyside (I think) which went some way to convincing me that you can have whisky with posh food. The mark up on the French wines looked a bit steep to me, which may say something about the clientele who were all quite formally dressed (excluding your correspondent and companion) and middle aged (hem! hem!). I assume they were all members of the Whisky Society. I am not, but wouldn't mind trying it out if anyone would care to invite me.

No comments: